If you’re the parent or carer of a two-year-old and you receive certain benefits you could be eligible to apply for a free early education place.
What do you get?
From the term after their second birthday, eligible children will be entitled to a place for either:
- 15 hours a week during term time only (38 weeks a year) or
- 12 hours a week all year round, over 48 weeks a year
Apply for a place
The quickest way to apply is online. You’ll need a parent or carer’s National Insurance number. Click here to get started. Alternatively, you can download a form to print.
Who can Apply?
Children may be eligible if their parent is receiving any of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit and has an annual income below £16,190
- Working Tax Credit and has an annual income below £16,190
- Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’- the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
Or if they are:
- Children with a disability or special educational needs
- Children with a child protection plan
- Children looked after by the Local Authority
- Children who are members of a travelling family
- Children who have left care but are not able to return home (through adoption orders, residence orders or special guardianship)